Few procedures tend to worry people like a root canal. However, we’ve found most anxiety about this procedure is due to misinformation. In reality, many find the experience comparable to receiving a simple dental filling. Without this procedure, an infection or abscess could cause someone to eventually lose his or her tooth. Do you need a root canal?
Try Our Root Canal Quiz
- True or False: Endodontic treatment can treat infections.
- True or False: The procedure is comfortable.
- True or False: Your tooth will look natural afterward.
- True or False: Without treatment you could lose the tooth.
- True. An infection occurs when bacteria reaches the inner pulp, either as a result of damager or severe decay. Patients experience discomfort when biting down or chewing, and may also notice swelling near the tooth or a fever. Endodontic treatment can relieve the pressure and discomfort of an infection.
- True. Prior to treatment the doctor will administer a local anesthetic to ensure the procedure is comfortable. Treatment involves removing the infected tissue from the tooth and filling the tooth with a restorative material.
- True. The procedure is completed with the placement of a dental crown. Made from natural looking material, the crown will blend with your smile and make it so no one will be able to tell you’ve undergone treatment.
- True. Without treatment an infection can worsen until the tooth dies. At this point, the infection can reach the surrounding teeth or the jawbone. The only way to prevent the spread is to remove the tooth completely. However, by seeing the dentist at the first signs of discomfort you can avoid tooth loss and protect your smile. If you have any questions about our approach to endodontic treatment please contact our office today.