If you have been wondering if dental implants will offer you the teeth replacement solution you have been seeking, we encourage you to schedule a free consultation with us. We recognize that you may not know much about implants but probably have a good idea that they offer a wonderful array of benefits. Rather than continue wondering, speaking with us will provide you with a better understanding of your candidacy and may even help you choose a prosthetic better suited to your needs. In the meantime, we have gathered some basic information to introduce you to the wonderful world of implants.
What Is A Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a post that replaces your roots and acts as a support for the visible portion of your tooth replacement – it is not a complete artificial tooth. Once you understand the basic parts, you will have a much clearer knowledge of how implants work. Consider the following:
- Implant Post: The “dental implant” is a titanium post that we will implant surgically into your jawbone.
- Abutment: This is a connector accessory piece that we will place within the implant. It will stick out just above your gumline, allowing us to connect a restoration (or visible artificial tooth) to the implant.
- Restoration: A restoration is the artificial tooth used above your gumline to complete the replacement of your tooth. In most cases, we use a beautiful dental crown to restore your implant posts.
Patients tend to choose implants both because of their exceptional stability and also because of their many additional benefits, including:
- Replacing your roots provides stimulation once given by your natural roots – it signals your body to keep your jawbone healthy enough to support teeth. This helps prevent jawbone deterioration.
- Dental implants may last the rest of your life or for many years to come.
- Replacing your teeth prevents your remaining natural teeth from moving into openings, which can lead to misaligned teeth.
- You will regain your full ability to eat whatever foods you desire and to speak articulately.
ABOUT YOUR WEST ALLIS COSMETIC DENTIST:
Located in West Allis, WI, Michael E. Flynn, DDS, and his talented team of dental care professionals proudly welcome patients from West Allis, Brookfield, Wauwatosa, and all Western Milwaukee communities. To learn more, or to schedule your next appointment, call Stubbs Family Dentistry today at 414-541-8250.